Saturday, September 23, 2017

PIN stop working on Windows login. Cannot change or reset the PIN.

I was using PIN to unlock my Windows 10 computers for years. But one day my laptop requested Password instead of PIN. Moreover the PIN option disappeared from the Welcome screen completely :(

Finally, I've remembered my password, get logged and decided to set the PIN again.

But System Settings worked weird: "Add New PIN" button was available, but when I clicked it, the system asked for the PIN instead of Password! Moreover, there was no "Reset PIN" or "Forgot PIN" option :(

I've been Googling this bug for about 30 minutes but none of the solutions worked for me… Then I tried to remove the PIN settings manually and solve the problem :)

Here is a step by step instruction:

You need a file manager with Administrator access level and enabled view for "hidden files". You can use Windows Explorer but you have to add permissions for some folders manually.

Go to "[Windows]\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Ngc" folder:

Delete or rename "{xyz}" sub-folder.

Open "System Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options", press "Add" button and create a new PIN code for your account.

After that the PIN will work on the Login screen. "Remove" button and "I forgot my PIN" options are also available:

Let me know if you have any issues with PIN on Windows login. Just write a comment to describe how and when the problem appeared. Thank you.


No comments: